What’s In Our Holistic Medicine Cabinet and Why I Suggest You Have One
I am not a medical doctor. All thoughts and opinions are my own. Supplements are not a once size fits all, I’m sharing common ones that we use in our household. I suggest you do your own research before making a purchase.
Disclaimer: I do use affiliate links on here meaning that if you purchase anything through my affiliate links I receive commission at no additional cost to you! My views and opinions are never swayed because of this! I only recommend products and services I love!
When I began my shift to a nontoxic lifestyle, I had no idea what was outside of the realm of modern medicine. Why would I, there was never any thought in my brain that something else could help me heal from a cold or sickness? If you are new here, this is how I changed my life and became healthy. I also strongly believe that regular chiropractic visits can positively impact your health and are the center of my preferred “health care.” When your spine is in proper alignment, all the nerves in your body can transmit correctly from the spine to your organs. Getting a chiropractic adjustment can help reduce a fever, give you much more restful sleep, help you not “need” as many medications and make you a healthier person all the way around. I strongly urge you to ask around and find a local chiropractor for you and your littles. My children have been adjusted since birth and it has helped them with an array of issues from birth trauma, acid reflux, constipation and immune health.
In addition to chiropractic care, adding in daily exercise and eating cleaner will also help in overall immune system functioning at optimal level. I know that navigating the world of vitamins and supplements can be confusing and I always suggest starting with your daily diet and focusing on as many fresh fruits and vegetables and less processed foods as possible. Outside of that, you can look into vitamin deficiencies and see if you are personally experiencing any of the side effects and then add in vitamins as needed. I personally like to have my “staples” on hand of the vitamins, supplements and homeopathics we might need at any given time and make a quick run to our local Healthy Food Store for anything extra.
Here are my “must haves” for a holistic medicine cabinet:
- PROBIOTICS – A good probiotic is a must for everyone in the family. The two things I look at are strains in probiotics (different ones are for different issues) and CFUs of strains (how many different types are in one). I like to take a probiotic with over 100 billion CFUs because that magical number will help with acne and skin issues. When you have acne, it’s important to remember that it’s not going to be a quick fix and it’s most likely caused by something internally. You can read more about probiotics here. I buy mine from Amazon and I have this one for myself and this one for the older kids. You can read more about why a good probiotic is beneficial for your health by clicking here.
- B12 – I love B12 because I am always tired. I mean #momlife. It couldn’t be anymore simple for me than that. I can’t chug coffee constantly or take energy supplements because I am breastfeeding and honestly that’s not good for you. I take a B12 supplement every day as needed. I might take it around lunch or mid afternoon, it always gives me the extra energy boost without the jitters. Vitamin B12 is best known—and most promoted—as a cure for fatigue, but this vitamin is important for much more than keeping energy levels up. Vitamin B12 deficiency symptoms include everything from depression, fatigue, and memory loss to canker sores and dizziness. I love this brand of B12.
- CRAMPING BARK– I use this when I am on my period. Who else has really horrible cramps during that special time of the month?! I know I do and it’s so debilitating. Unfortunately, I cannot just sit in bed for a few days until its over so this is my get up and go duo that helps me make it through. As the name suggests, cramp bark is used for relieving cramps, including muscle spasms, menstrual cramps, and cramps during pregnancy. I buy this brand of cramping bark (the one pictured is one I picked up from a local healthy food store.)
- ARNICA – this is my natural “Tylenol” and one I use for pain relief of any kind. Headaches, cramps, joint inflammation, you name it, arnica is great! It is used for for pain and swelling associated with bruises, aches, and sprains. It is also applied to the skin for insect bites, arthritis, muscle and cartilage pain, chapped lips, and acne.This is the brand of arnica I buy from Amazon.
- OSCILLOCOCCINUM – I picked this up for the first time a few years ago and it made me really re-evaluate every time I had the flu or a cold in the past. These quick dissolving pellets are life changing. They really do help combat flu or cold symptoms and help you not feel like you’re dying. Because who has time for that, right? You can buy them bundled for a discount or separately. I recommend grabbing a pack like this to keep on hand and if you ever do get a cold or the flu, just Amazon prime another pack to your house.
- ACTIVATED CHARCOAL – I had no idea about the many benefits of charcoal until a few years ago. Ya’ll, I was living under a rock. Just kidding, that’s honestly how I felt after finding out all of this information though! I actually wrote a blog not to long ago that focuses on all things charcoal and you can read it here. I keep these capsules on hand in case the stomach bug ever rears its ugly head. When you take activated charcoal, drugs and toxins can bind to it. This helps rid the body of unwanted substances. This is the brand I buy from Amazon.
- VITAMIN D – this is beneficial for a A LOT of reasons. Contrary to popular belief, it’s actually a hormone. You can find vitamin D receptors in almost every cell and tissue in the human body. It can help fight cancer, boost immunity, fight infections, improve bone health, improve fertility, and help with muscle strength. I love a vitamin D spray for myself and the kids but if you want a gummy, this is the brand I recommend. The spray I use have Vitamin D3 and K2 together, I do this because the K3 allows the vitamin D to be absorbed better into the body.
- OMEGA 3’S – aka FISH OIL yeah, you heard me right I did say fish oil. Let me say, this has been one of the hardest things to find for the kids because they all taste so fishy. haha! Even when they hold their noses the taste is unbearable. I finally found a brand they willingly take (and actually grab from the fridge when we are getting ready to take all our vitamins). This comes in a variety of flavors so pick which one suits your tastes. We use fish oil for a multitude of things like heart health, healthy skin, gut health, healthy joints, memory support, hair growth and dental support.
- COUGH SYRUP – there’s nothing worse than being up all night with a sick baby that can’t stop coughing. No rest for you or them is never good and doesn’t help them rest like their body needs. I recently found this healthy brand of night time cough syrup for the kids and it’s been a lifesaver. I also diffuse breathe oils in their bedrooms and make sure to rub them down with an essential oil “Vicks vapor rub” before they go to sleep.
- KID’S MULTIVITAMIN – ideally kids get their vitamins and minerals from their diet but when that’s off, it’s important to supplement with a multivitamin. I also buy the kids their multivitamin from Nordic Naturals. I love all the ingredients and it’s a gummy as well for easy use.
- ZINC – Zinc is SUCH a powerhouse. It helps with strong immunity, hormonal balance, liver issues, pancreas and adrenal health, fertility, and helping you think clearer and feel more positive. I love the liquid zinc that I found, its easy to quickly take in the dropper OR I can hide it in smoothies for the kids. Here is the link!
- COLLODIAL SILVER – not only do the kids take this orally every day, I do as well. It’s great for every day immune support and also great for a multitude of things. Silver smothers and kills 99.9% of germs and bacteria so we use this for everything! Cuts, ant bites, burns, warts, pink eye, ear infections, runny noses, etc we use silver! I love this brand from amazon and I have it on an auto shipment to our house.
- VITAMIN C – there are SO MANY health benefits of Vitamin C. It helps boost immunity, is an antioxidant, lowers the level of lead in blood, reduces stress, reduces symptoms of the common cold and so much more. You can get more vitamin c by eating lots of citrus. We love these gummies by Nordic Naturals so much that our entire family eats them.
- ELDERBERRY SYRUP – I’ve talked about this numerous times on my blog and y’all have got to check out this post for all the deets. I’ve also tried numerous brands of Elderberry and this is by far my favorite and most effective in my opinion. I buy these packets and make my own. It’s super simple and it allows me to add local honey for everyone which gives even more health benefits. It takes me a short amount of time to make and I end up with 4 quarts from one packet.
- NATURAL CALM NIGHT TIME – I found this magnesium supplement to help me relax and fall asleep easier. Most of us suffer from lack of magnesium and it can outwardly spiral us into anxiety amongst other things. I use this for helping me get to sleep and STAY asleep without being up all hours of the night worrying.
I also want my children to maintain a healthy immune system by allowing some germs and bacteria into our home so I’m not over sanitizing or cleaning my house. With 5 kids, I make sure to do daily cleanings but I have not and will not use Lysol and Bleach inside because it can cause respiratory issues amongst other things and killing ALL the germs in our home doesn’t help us. We all thrive from a good balance of germs.
Do you see anything on this list that you’re interested in trying? How about seeing something you might already use? Feel free to share your thoughts in the comments and let’s learn together!
Which of these do you take daily??
What do you use to clean your house with?
Hey! I use several
Different things.. my fav being NORWEX. If you search “non toxic cleaning” on my blog you can see them all ❤️
Can you help me to understand and figure out which of these you use daily and which are used as needed or for a pick me up, please? Obviously I know the cough and flu medication are as needed, but the rest I am lost!! I am a mama of 3 boys and have been for a few years now trying to switch over to an all natural/holistic home! I don’t have support, and my family and friends basically just laugh and tell me I worry too much about silly things, and let them have McDonald’s and “be kids”!! It’s overwhelming trying to be a full time mama and also trying to give them all the best things for their growing bodies! Thanks so much!! 🙂
Your vitamin and supplements should change regularly with your lifestyle so what I take changes and yours would be different than mine.