Hey ya’ll! I’m super excited to share this blog topic because I received so many questions after I shared my sage stick that I picked up last week. We have saged our home for almost 3 years now and it has become something that we do on a monthly basis. Saging is something that has occurred for over 2,000 years starting with Indigenous Americans. It is a way to help cleanse your home and body of negative energies and set intentions for good energies. Clearing a space that you frequent (home, creative space or office) can completely change the vibe in that space. You might have also heard saging called “smudging” but it is the same thing.
There are numerous things that saging can help with and I want to share a few that I’ve learned so far. If I leave anything out that you know of, I would love to hear what it is in the comments section of this post!
- Help with quality of sleep. This is a biggie. Classic garden sage is sometimes burned like white sage and has been known to help with sleep and keep anxiety at bay. There is even some research that suggests sage contains compounds that could help ease insomnia.
- Help with cognition boosting. Some research shows that the act of saging can increase your focus and enhance cognition and alertness.
- It is purifying. Most sage has antimicrobial properties that keep infectious bacteria, viruses, and fungi away. A 2007 study found that when sage is burned for one hour it decreased the level of aerial bacteria by 94 percent. These effects were preserved for up to 24 hours afterward.
- It can help relieve allergies. Burning sage is thought to release negative ions. This is said to help neutralize positive ions. Some common positive ions are allergens (pet dander, pollution, dust and mold). Burning sage could help those with asthma, allergies, bronchitis and other respiratory issues. If you do have respiratory issues then just wait until the smoke clears before you enter a room.
- Can help with stress. A 2016 research project for the University of Mississippi states that white sage (Salvia apiana) is rich in compounds that activate certain receptors in the brain. The receptors talked about are the ones that control elevation of mood levels, reduce stress and help with relieving pain.
There are so many more helpful reasons to burn sage but these are a few that intrigued me. When I sage I always keep a window or door open to allow the smoke to clear the space and get the negative energy out. During the saging I always have a small bowl with me to keep the ashes from falling on the floor. When I go into a room I start sating things that I want for the room (for example: if it’s for sleep in the bedroom then I just start speaking about it and praying about it). Allow the sage smoke to completely go over every surface and object in your home. After you’re done, make sure to extinguish the sage from burning.
I also want to share that whenever we have had a lot of people in our house or people who are negative or have a lot of drama in their life I like to sage and clear the space. I also like to sage when we have a lot going on in our life and want to keep our home the safe center space for us all. There is no bad time to sage but when you do it is important to be intentional with what you’re thinking and focus on what you WANT from the experience.
I hope this has inspired you to try it out in your own home!