We have burned sage sticks our home for years now and it has become something that we do on a regular basis. Saging is something that has occurred for over 2,000 years starting with Indigenous Americans. It is a way to help cleanse your home and has numerous health benefits from inhaling and eating as an herb.
There are numerous things that saging can help with and I want to share a few that I’ve learned so far. If I leave anything out that you know of, I would love to hear what it is in the comments section of this post!
- Help with quality of sleep. This is a biggie. Classic garden sage is sometimes burned like white sage and has been known to help with sleep and keep anxiety at bay. There is even some research that suggests sage contains compounds that could help ease insomnia.
- Help with cognition boosting. Some research shows that the act of saging can increase your focus and enhance cognition and alertness.
- It is purifying. Most sage has antimicrobial properties that keep infectious bacteria, viruses, and fungi away. A 2007 study found that when sage is burned for one hour it decreased the level of aerial bacteria by 94 percent. These effects were preserved for up to 24 hours afterward.
- It can help relieve allergies. Burning sage is thought to release negative ions. This is said to help neutralize positive ions. Some common positive ions are allergens (pet dander, pollution, dust and mold). Burning sage could help those with asthma, allergies, bronchitis and other respiratory issues. If you do have respiratory issues then just wait until the smoke clears before you enter a room.
- Can help with stress. A 2016 research project for the University of Mississippi states that white sage (Salvia apiana) is rich in compounds that activate certain receptors in the brain. The receptors talked about are the ones that control elevation of mood levels, reduce stress and help with relieving pain.
There are so many more helpful reasons to burn sage but these are a few that intrigued me. During the saging process, I always have a small bowl with me to keep the ashes from falling on the floor. After you’re done, make sure to extinguish the sage from burning. I honestly believe that staging can be a great help benefit in your life. I always encourage taking the time to research things for yourself, so make sure to do that after reading this post.