If you know me, you know that I am a minimalist at heart. For something to be in my house, it has to have a purpose and a place. One thing that is in every room of the house are Himalayan salt lamps. I added salt lamps into my home not just for a decorative touch but for their health benefits.
A couple years ago, I started researching about how indoor air pollution effects us all and it really scared me. I consider my home my safe space which is why I was shocked to hear about the many ways that I put myself and my family at risk of indoor air pollution. After that, I became a woman on a mission that decided to take matters into my own hands and DO BETTER. I strongly urge you to first look into bringing live plants into your home.
You might be wondering… what causes indoor air pollution? Indoor air pollution is caused by a combination of particles like pollen, dust, pet dander, mold spores, and smoke combined with ozone, invisible gases, and volatile organic compounds (VOCs) which are emitted by building materials, furniture, carpeting, paint, and cleaning and personal care products. While we always strive to only use organic and non-toxic products in our home, there is no doubt in my mind that pollutants have a chance to get in through our clothing, air vents, mattresses, pets, etc.
What are the major sources of indoor air pollution? Asbestos, biological pollutants, Carbon Monoxide, Formaldehyde/Pressed Wood Products, Lead, Nitrogen Dioxide, Radon and indoor particulate matter. You might be thinking… I don’t know what half of the things you just listed are or where they come from. Basically, these come from dryer sheets, cleaning products used, candles/wall plug ins, the carbon dioxide we emit when we breathe, gases from cooking and also the walls and floors. WHATTT?! Crazy, right? So what do we do to correct this? In this post I’m going to focus on why I brought salt lamps into my home and how they can help, but that’s not the only thing you can do to help with indoor air pollution. Not only can we clean up what are allow into our homes and go “green,” but involving houseplants can help as well as getting an air purifier.
A major way that I’ve found to combat indoor air pollution is by using salt lamps. We have them in every room and love them. Not only are they just plain gorgeous but having real salt lamps in your house brings a wild range of benefits to positively impact everything in your home.
TEN BENEFITS FROM USING A SALT LAMP IN YOUR HOME:
- Salt lamps purify the air – I love that by having them in our home that it helps filter pollen, dust and dirt particles. Salt lamps are so cleansing that they can even help get rid of smells like cigarette smoke, burned food and stinky socks.
- Prevent allergy and protect against asthma – Because salt lamps help eliminate dust and mold, this gets your lungs breathing normal. You want to make sure that you put your salt lamps in areas that you are in a lot so you can reap the benefits.
- Alleviates chronic coughs – When the salt lamps heat up, a change in the air molecules occurs. This helps naturally filter harmful ions that can cause health issues and irritate your lungs.
- Increase Energy Levels – Himalayan salt helps produce positive energy which can change the mood of a room. It helps with calming and being less anxious.
- Neutralize Electromagnetic Radiation – I often get asked about how to reduce EMF exposure and this is a great way to do so. The purifying qualities help keep radiation at bay.
- Better Sleep – Getting better sleep is a common result of placing a salt lamp in your bedroom. The energy from the lamp helps with calming.
- Improve Mood & Concentration – With more energy also comes a better mood and enhanced focus. I love that it helps me with my work life and also homework time with the kids.
- Treat Seasonal Affective Disorder – Himalayan salt lamps warm up when they are turned on and this helps sooth symptoms of Seasonal Affective Disorder, which can make many patients more comfortable at home.
- Reduce Static Electricity in the Air – Static is one thing that I’ve always had a big issue with until we brought in salt lamps into the home. The air changes from the lamp helps decrease the electricity in the air.
- Environmentally-Friendly Light Source – Himalayan salt lamps use economic bulbs that emit less energy but still get you maximum benefits. Therefore, you can use this low-light item as the perfect way to stay healthy and save at the same time!
Do you have them in your home? Have you ever thought about adding one? Share below!
PS – not all salt lamps are REAL so I strongly urge you to check them out before you just buy one from Walmart. I buy mine from this store at the beach called Black Water Minerals because I know that they are in fact, real.