Making this swap is important for your sleep and overall health. This also goes for NyQuil, Sleeping aids or even Benadryl. (All things people have shared with me so they could get to sleep)
Cutting out melatonin use is very important, mostly because it teaches your body to not naturally make it and you can become dependent on artificial forms.
Melatonin is ubiquitous. It is present in nearly all life forms, including plants and animals, and even single cell organisms. Evolutionarily, it dates back billions of years serving essential cellular processes with its antioxidant and free radical scavenging functions, and more recently as a key element in the regulation of circadian rhythms and the sleep-wake cycle. As humans, we benefit from our endogenous melatonin in support of our complex cellular activity and in helping to orchestrate wide-ranging physiological processes influenced by our circadian system. We are not conscious of most melatonin actions, but certainly experience its effects on sleep and waking.
A darker side of both endogenous and exogenous melatonin has been emerging in recent years with investigations of circadian rhythms and metabolism, specifically examining glucose tolerance, insulin release and sensitivity, weight gain, and the timing of food intake. The circadian regulation of metabolism is just right for people who are active, get plenty of light exposure, and have their meals during the daytime, and who are in the dark sleeping during the nighttime.
Melatonin has been linked to headaches, dizziness, nausea, stomach cramps, drowsiness, confusion or disorientation, irritability and mild anxiety, depression and tremors as well as abnormally low blood pressure. It can also interact with common medications and trigger allergies.
With so many sleep aids on the market to take, I’ve played around to find my magical combo.
I take magnesium and the Green Compass Sleep Better Nano Jellies and have noticed a huge difference in my sleep quality!
CBD Sleep Better Nano Jellies
- CBN helps magnify the effects of CBD when taken together with your daily hemp products
- Powerful blend of Ashwagandha, Passionflower and Lemon Balm to promote healthy sleep and relaxation
- Improves sleep quality
- Fall asleep faster and stay asleep for healthier sleep cycles
- Promote overall mind and body wellness
- Encourages calm and relaxation for a restful night of sleep
- Soothing formula to promote natural relaxation without the fogginess
Magnesium for sleep
- contains 3 bioavailable forms of Magnesium plus L-Theanine to help restore cellular balance for relaxation, sleep, brain health, and regularity.*
- Chelated Magnesium Gluconate and Acetyl Taurinate support muscle relaxation and cognitive function, while Magnesium Citrate supports regular bowel movements.*
- L-Theanine promotes alpha‑wave activity in the brain, shown to encourage a focused calm.
- Relaxation enhances feelings of calm, improves mood, reduces muscle aches
- Regularity supports regular bowel movement, soothes and alleviates mild bloating during PMS
- Brain Health supports healthy cognitive aging and brain function
I hope after reading this that you feel more educated on the long term effects of taking melatonin and reach for a healthier alternative if you’re struggling for sleep. Please comment below with any questions you might still have.
More sources that I found useful: https://www.csustan.edu/sites/default/files/groups/University%20Honors%20Program/Journals_two/dis_sotogarcializeth.pdf