Hey ya’ll! I am so excited to share the first part of my holistic medicine cabinet series with ya’ll. You know from my insta stories that I am all about keeping healthy, and having holistic medicine plays a big role in that. When I first transitioned to a holistic lifestyle, I was clueless at how to switch over to healthy alternatives, but over the past 6 years it’s become easier due to research and the help of holistic doctors. This is a topic that I get really passionate about because people assume when I say I live a non toxic lifestyle that we just suffer through things or I keep my kids from getting proper care from a health professional, but this is NOT the case. I have spent a lot of time and research finding the best ways to combat any issue under the sun and now, I am sharing my findings with you!
This week, I’m beginning the series with a few things that I’ve deemed “must haves” and what I would start with for investing in products for your own holistic medicine cabinet. These are items I use for myself and my entire family and I hope you find value in them like we do.
- Probiotic – A good probiotic is a must for everyone in the family. I don’t care what brand you buy, but I do care for a few specifics in the probiotic itself. I like to take a probiotic with over 100 billion CFUs because that magical number will help with acne and skin issues. When you have acne, it’s important to remember that it’s not going to be a quick fix and it’s most likely caused by something internally. You can read more about probiotics here. I buy mine from Amazon and I have this one for myself and this one for the older kids. You can read more about why a good probiotic is beneficial for your health by clicking here.
- B12 – I love this because I am always tired. I mean #momlife. It couldn’t be anymore simple for me than that. I can’t chug coffee constantly or take energy supplements because I am breastfeeding and honestly that’s not good for you. I take a B12 supplement every day as needed. I might take it around lunch or mid afternoon, it always gives me the extra energy boost without the jitters. Vitamin B12 is best known—and most promoted—as a cure for fatigue, but this vitamin is important for much more than keeping energy levels up. Vitamin B12 deficiency symptoms include everything from depression, fatigue, and memory loss to canker sores and dizziness. I love this brand that I also buy from Amazon.
- Cramping bark & Arnica – I combined these two because I use them in tandem when I am on my period. Who else has really horrible cramps during that special time of the month?! I know I do and it’s so debilitating. Unfortunately, I cannot just sit in bed for a few days until its over so this is my get up and go duo that helps me make it through. As the name suggests, cramp bark is used for relieving cramps, including muscle spasms, menstrual cramps, and cramps during pregnancy. I buy this brand of cramping bark (the one pictured is one I picked up from a local healthy food store.) I also take the Arnica supplement at the same time. It is used for for pain and swelling associated with bruises, aches, and sprains. It is also applied to the skin for insect bites, arthritis, muscle and cartilage pain, chapped lips, and acne. This is the brand of arnica I buy from Amazon.
- Oscillococcinum – I picked this up for the first time last year and it made me really re-evaluate every time I had the flu or a cold in the past. These quick dissolving pellets are life changing. They really do help combat flu or cold symptoms and help you not feel like you’re dying. Because who has time for that, right? You can buy them bundled for a discount or separately. I recommend grabbing a pack like this to keep on hand and if you ever do get a cold or the flu, just Amazon prime another pack to your house.
- Activated Charcoal – I had no idea about the many benefits of charcoal until last year. Ya’ll, I was living under a rock. Just kidding, that’s honestly how I felt after finding out all of this information though! I actually wrote a blog not to long ago that focuses on all things charcoal and you can read it here. I keep these capsules on hand in case the stomach bug ever rears its ugly head. When you take activated charcoal, drugs and toxins can bind to it. This helps rid the body of unwanted substances. This is the brand I buy from Amazon.
I hope ya’ll liked the first installment of my holistic medicine cabinet series. I’ll keep updating this until I have everything in mine shared with you. Let me know if you have any questions about the items I shared!