Hey, y’all! T.G.I.T, am I right? This week has been something else, and I’m thankful that it’s almost the weekend! Now that I’ve announced my pregnancy, a lot of y’all have come to me with questions on what products I use during the first trimester. Some of you ladies are pregnant along with me (yayyyy for summer babies!), so ya’ll are dealing with what I am right now… headaches, nausea, vomiting, and fatigue. I wanted to use this blog to share some of the things that I’ve come to call my first trimester essentials now that I’m in my THIRD pregnancy!
- Ginger Essential Oil – Ginger oil has been found to help with nausea during pregnancy. When you get pregnant, the types of oils that you can use change, but this one is especially safe and I am thankful for it! Ginger has been found to be more effective than vitamin B6 for relieving the severity of nausea, and is just as effective for decreasing the number of episodes. Ginger was also found to be as effective as dimenhydrinate in treating nausea and vomiting during pregnancy. On those days when I seem to feel sick before my feet even hit the ground, I use ginger oil! I have found that I don’t love the smell, so I apply it to the bottoms of my feet and it can instantly soothe my nausea.
- Mama Essence Tummy Tamer Tea – During my first and second pregnancies, I would depend on saltines to help ease nausea, but now that I realize how disgusting they are, I skip that route and drink some of Mama Essence Tummy Tamer Tea! This handcrafted blend of peppermint, ginger, jasmine, lemon, and other soothing flowers helps me calm the nausea with each sip. I drink mine warm in the mornings with fresh lemon slices. I really enjoy the flavors and how the tea settles my stomach within minutes of drinking it. I really love hot tea in the morning and adding the lemon gives it a little zing that also helps me become more alert!
- Bundle Organics Prenatal Juice – Taking prenatal pills is such a big chore for me, especially during the first trimester when everything makes me want to throw up. I came across this juice company on Pinterest and fell in love with the idea! Since a lot of foods seem to make my stomach queasy, it’s hard to get all the nutrients that I normally would and that I need for myself and the baby growing in my belly. These juices are packed with kale, apple, ginger, carrots, berries, veggies, folic acid, calcium, vitamin D, omega 3 and iron! All of the goodness that a pregnant mama needs! I have gotten the monthly bundle of these juices and I love all the flavors but the green- kale, apple, ginger, lemon has been my favorite! I love to juice, but right now I don’t feel like actually making my own, so this has been my go-to drink! Sometimes water can actually make me feel more sick, so I drink it when I want it and I don’t force it during the times I don’t feel too swift. I take a few or a lot of sips of these juices and go about my day. I really like how they are delivered to my doorstep so I don’t have to go out and get them. My husband has been doing most of the shopping lately! I would also love to add that Bundle Organics launched their new product line today: Organic Pregnancy and Lactation Teas. For a chance to win a 12 pack of their juices and 3 boxes of tea head over to their Instagram: @bundleorganics
- The Glow Co First Trimester Box – The owners of the Glow Co found me on Instagram last month and I am so glad that they did! Getting their box in the mail is like opening the sweetest care package you could ever get! I was sent a First Trimester box and it was jam packed with goodies that I have really enjoyed! It’s actually more of a survival kit – Nolan even calls it that now, haha. The founders of this company, Laina and Mandy, came up with this idea after they each gave birth to precious baby girls. “Looking back over the courses of their pregnancies, they both wished for a simple package of items that would have helped them get through each trimester of pregnancy. A survival kit, if you will. They both felt that as soon as the two lines appeared on the pregnancy test, everything became about the baby. That’s important, of course, but pregnancy can be a long road filled with ups and downs and sometimes the mamas just need a little help. After some online research, they couldn’t find exactly what they were looking for, and decided to create it themselves.” In the box I received for my first trimester they sent queasy lollipops, a funny book, lemon candle, pickle-flavored chapstick, cucumber mocktail juice, barf bags, a rose quartz bracelet, and a granola bar for snacking. I’ve really enjoyed treating myself during the past month because of how down right awful I feel! It feels good to do something nice for myself.
- Yummy Earth Ginger Chews – I normally have such a sweet tooth and especially for hard candy! I LOVE ginger chews and the Yummy Earth brand is my all time favorite! Their products are free from artificial dyes and flavors, they use real root extracts, these candies are USDA organic, and they are individually wrapped. I keep these in my purse so when I’m out and about and start feeling a little sick, I can pop one in and enjoy the flavors. They only have 14 calories in each drop so I have been known to shamelessly eat a handful. I really love how much the ginger is balanced with carrots, black currant and apple for a sweetness. They are about the diameter of a dime, so these are very portable and convenient. I’ve also found that the ginger is of a quality and amount that settles my stomach after meals. It’s always nice to find dye-free organic products when you’re pregnant!
- Peppermint Essential Oil – With each of my pregnancies, I’ve experienced headaches and fatigue. Sadly nothing helped with headaches in the past EXCEPT peppermint oil. Headache is among the common early pregnancy symptoms developing in the majority of females in the first trimester. In my view, peppermint does equally well as Tylenol and Ibuprofen when it comes to getting relief from painful headaches. It even helped me get relief from a vicious migraine I acquired due to pregnancy. As I was very uncomfortable, at least with the effect of peppermint oil I was able to function. How can peppermint oil work? Initially when I first used peppermint essential oil for a moderate headache, I wondered whether this oil actually works or if it just distracts the mind and makes you feel as if the headache has disappeared. I later found that peppermint oil is a natural vasodilator. Simply put, it facilitates blood flow. In addition, if your problem is sinus-related, the scent of peppermint may help clear the headache.
If you’re pregnant and have any questions for me I would love to help you! If you’re interested in essential oils as well, please send me an email at Amanda@littlesouthernlife.com and I’ll do my best to help introduce you to the oily life!